Tips for Creating Effective Promotional Materials
Creating effective promotional pieces takes creativity, practice and a little know-how. Put your marketing materials to work for you by following a few simple rules.
- Create an idea library
- When you see promotional materials that catch your eye, save them for reference.
- Figure out why you prefer some pieces to others and repeat these positive characteristics in your materials.
- Use design elements consistently
- Your readers should be able to identify where the piece is from, even if your company name is not on it.
- Stick to a few consistent design elements—logo, typefaces, graphics and colors—on all your materials.
- Focus on the reader
- Put yourself in their position and ask “Why should I care?”
- Give readers practical information they can use.
- Use white space effectively
- White space is the empty space in your promotional piece. It is your friend.
- Too much information — jammed into every available space — will confuse and overwhelm your readers.
- With Design… less is often more
- If your materials are too busy, your readers will struggle to find your message.
- A simple, clean, organized layout makes your materials look professional and have more impact.
- Give people a reason to respond
- Coupons, special offers, promotional pricing… experiment with different offers to see what your target market responds to.